logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Changing the name of a garmin img map?

From Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de on Sun Sep 16 20:22:08 BST 2018

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is an issue about options or their
documentions. I'm using mkgmap to generate maps from openstreetmap for a
garmin etrex.

Although I am using all possible options as described in the
--help=options output to set names, i.e.

--description=...
--country-name=
--country-abbr=
--region-name=
--region-abbr=
--area-name=
--series-name=
--family-name=

(with option values, of course), but the map name contained in the file
header and displayed in the etrex is still some generated by mkgmap and
build from a 2-character County code and the first major city it finds,
e.g.  MV-Male for Maldives.

As I do understand the --help=options output, the options listed above
should change this name, as the help text says

--family-name=name
        If you build several maps, this option describes the
        family name of all of your maps. Garmin will display this
        in the map selection screen.
        Example: --family-name="OpenStreetmap mkgmap XL 2019"

--area-name=name
        Area name is displayed on Garmin units (or at least on eTrex) as
the second
        part of the mapname in the list of the individual maps.

Although I use this options, e.g. to call a map something like
„Maldives”, it still shows this „MV-Male” (or „AE-Dubai” and so on).

How can I change this name ?

regards

Hadmut