logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] DEM Resolution and size savings

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Fri Mar 30 22:07:10 BST 2018

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the DEM layer if created for resolution 23 only (with a map
that has not 24 resolution) will only be half the size of the DEM in
resolution 24 (dem-dist=3312) - however in Basecamp/Mapsource the detail is
virtually identical - I cannot see any difference in quality.

So I think there must be some way to still save a lot of data/space - but
it's not by going for dem-dits=6624 - that will result in much worse DEM
detail.

(I still really haven't found a good solution for DEM on GPS devices
though. Need more time trying out different values and possibilities. Right
now I think best is probably a separate transparent but except for DEM
empty DEM only gmapsupp.img).

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich