logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bug in Road Merging - actually doubling roads.

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Mar 30 12:04:09 BST 2018

Hi all,

when you use the default style you'll find a lot of duplicate arcs:
-  (multi-)polygons with highway=* & area=yes overlapping other highway=* ways
- if you use option --make-opposite-cycleways you'll see a lot of duplicated arcs for all the ways created by this option.
- errors where two OSM ways with highway=* and no area=yes share segments

Of course the duplicate arcs often have different routing attributes, e.g. type, road_class, road_speed, oneway, restrictions etc.
It seems that those duplicate arcs didn't cause problems so far, so I wonder in what situation we actually might want to avoid them?

So far I found only a few cases were I would not expect side effects, e.g.
1) https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/16584103 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/16584160
hw=service+area=yes overlaps hw=service
All attributes evaluated by mkgmap are equal, the duplicate arc is obsolete.
Possible action: Split one of the two ways, remove the duplicate segment(s).

2) https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/393299955 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/183285165
hw=residential+area=yes+name=* overlaps hw=residential+name=* + oneway=yes
The name is equal, the oneway attribute is not, other attributes are equal.
Possible action: Remove the duplicated segments from the area=yes way.
This would also be possible when the area=yes way doesn't have a name.
If only the area=yes way had a name we might add the name to the oneway before changing the area=yes way,
so that possible housenumbers are still found.

Things start to get complex when the style adds multiple lines for one or both OSM ways, also when one OSM way
overlaps multiple other OSM ways, e.g.  https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/393299955 also overlaps
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/183212836 which has different attributes.

Maybe we can find rules to handle more complex cases later, for now I try to code these actions.
At least it should reduce img size.