logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Route Calculation Error and Ferries

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Tue Mar 13 12:22:23 GMT 2018

Hi

Using Basecamp 4.6.2 and the gmapsupp.img from my Garmin Etrex, after
turning off the relevant "Avoid"s from profiles:

It will generate "Walking" routes using various ferries to the I.O.W:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/614416 Sotn.-W Cowes foot
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/614415 Sotn.-E Cowes vehicle
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368066 Yarmouth-Lymington vehicle
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/1886910 Fishbourne-Portsmouth vehicle
and a couple of others to from Portsmouth/Southsea to Ryde, IOW

and (not IOW):

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/353355 Sotn.-Hythe foot

The Etrex itself gives "Route Calculation Error" when asked to route as
a pedestrian to the IOW from the mainland.

Basecamp will generate a "Driving" route using:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/614415 Sotn.-E Cowes vehicle

as long as the start and/or end points are only a few streets away from
the ferry termini (but outside the ferry port, on public streets). I
haven't yet determined the point at which it fails.

It won't generate a route (ie. just gives a straight line) using:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368066 Yarmouth-Lymington vehicle
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/1886910 Fishbourne-Portsmouth vehicle

if starting/ending just outside the ferry ports, but looking at these on OSM, some of the required service roads are marked as access=destination, which triggers mkgmap:throughroute=no

So, Basecamp demonstrates some problems I get in the Etrex, and it
seems to be related to vehicle routing and distances between the end of
the ferry and the start/destination. It doesn't demonstrate the Etrex
problems with Pedestrian routing, but the examples I have that work on
the Etrex are all short ferry crossings on the same linked road
network.

Ticker