logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Please help with news about new DEM options

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Sat Feb 3 12:03:00 GMT 2018

Hi Gerd,

I think that it is better to get a rational set of option names than worry
about causing confusion due to minor changes. I would think there are only a
handful of people using the DEM options at the moment, and I don't believe
anyone who is not on the development list will be using them yet. If there
is anyone who has picked up the options and is not on the development list,
they will get an error message saying they have an unrecognised option and
will very quickly sort out what has changed.

I think it needs to be explained that only one DEM overview is needed,
despite the fact that there may be multiple overview levels.

Arndt Röhrig suggested to me that the splitter output poly file be used when
I asked for a DEM Noddy Guide - if it makes more sense to use the one
provided as input to splitter then I suggest that be added to the
documentation instead, and possibly suggesting that the areas.poly from
splitter should not be used. I have been using areas.poly, but have not
tried with no --dem-poly option, so don't know whether it makes any
difference. Is this option intended to be used only when you want areas of
the map to not have DEM data? If that is the case, then the documentation
needs to say that in general this option need not be used (presumably using
the one provided as input to splitter will also have no effect in that
case). The wording of "If not given, the DEM data will cover the full tile
area" is not sufficiently clear to me.

Cheers,
Mike

Regards,