logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Is dem-tdb branch ready for trunk ?

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Jan 27 08:54:19 GMT 2018

Hi all,

I am not aware of any erros in r4091, so I think it is time to merge it into trunk.

I see only one problem: HGT data changes rarely, so I'd prefer to do the costly DEM calculations
only once and be able to store the results.
I've already described how to do this here [1] but I'd prefer to have a container format that allows
mkgmap to extract the Garmin DEM bitstream data for a given lat/lon pair from a file.
Such a container could contain the DEM data for one or more dem-dist values. It could be empty first
and grow each time you calculate DEM for a new area. In subsequent executions of mkgmap it would
check if the container already contains the data for the wanted area.
Advantage would be a faster tile compilation and less power consumption, disadvantage would be the
additional disk space and higher complexity.

[1] http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Performance-with-zipped-hgt-files-tp5909756p5909801.html