logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Precompiled sea tiles contain no names - how to add names of sea, lagoons etc?

From Jörn joern.de at gmail.com on Wed Nov 29 16:06:41 GMT 2017

Hi Gerd,
due to your reply I got, that sea areas are defined by a coastline never
hold names ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Gew%C3%A4sser ).
Meanwhile I discovered multipolygons as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7645796 which name sea areas (this is
nameless in my outputs, but the part east of the state border has the
correct name). I guess, many (all?) my readings of lagoons are realized in
that way. My first tries to add a working code to my style failed.
Your idea for a new algo to name at least the main sea areas sounds very
good to me. May polygone shapes be a solution to segregate the "parent" sea
(e.g. Indian Ocean), "childs" (e.g. Arabian Sea) and the "grand-childs"
(e.g. Gulf of Aden)? But how to avoid redundancies with coastlines? It
seems to be more challenging than the geonames-file.
Jörn

[mkgmap-dev] Precompiled sea tiles contain no names - how to add names of
sea, lagoons etc?
>From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Nov 28
20:14:19 GMT 2017

Hi Jörn,

do you know a source for the names? The input for mkgmap which is used to
generate the precompiled data
doesn't contain the names. I guess it would be possible to implement an
algo similar to that for the geonames-file
option in splitter. Or do you think that OSM contains the info?