logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] name for residential

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Oct 19 05:46:54 BST 2017

Hi Arndt,

one simple solution to set a name would be to use something like
landuse=residential & name!=* & mkgmap:admin_level10=* { name '${mkgmap:admin_level10=*}'}
landuse=residential & name!=* & mkgmap:admin_level9=* { name '${mkgmap:admin_level9=*}'}
landuse=residential & name!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { name '${mkgmap:admin_level8=*}'}

If we add logic to check if a place node can be found within a residential area I see some problems:
1) A quick search showed that most residential areas don't contain any place nodes
2) Many place nodes are not inside of any landuse area, e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/340983656 or
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3609029156

So I think we would need a different logic, e.g. mkgmap could set a tag with the name of the closest place node.
We already have a similar logic for the handling of the --location-autofill=nearest option, but that is now only used for points,
not for polygons. The option also has some difficulties:
        nearest   The city/hamlet points that are closest to the element are used
              to assign the missing address fields. Beware that cities located
              in the same tile are used only. So the results close to a tile
              border have less quality.

For the beginning, I'd say that closest would mean "smallest distance to the point that is calculated as the average of
all nodes of the polygon", like the --add-pois-to-areas option does when no special node is found that sets the position.
So, maybe a new option --location-auto-name-area could trigger this.

Comments?