logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Sep 14 09:50:55 BST 2017

I would rephrase it to "Note that neither very old devices (introduced up
to around ~2011) - nor newer devices (introduced ~late 2015 or newer) can
show unicode maps. Newer devices can however mostly be made compatible by
using grey market firmware. (actually the firmwares that are designed to
circumvent new garmin devices to show "pirated" copyrighted garmin maps
will also mean that those devices will be able to show mkgmap unicode maps.
In my opinion in Europe it would be legal to use such firmware if you
simply want to show OSM based mkgmap created "non pirated" maps - while
illegal if used to show "pirated" garmin maps.
The only new devices for which this firmware is not available/ or better
the firmware patcher for this does not work are some of the garmin smart
devices like the Fenix watches and I'm not sure if it works on all
automotive devices like Zumo or Nuvi.

So maybe in this firmware patcher some clues could be found (or better if
the author would release the relevant clues/sourcecode on request)?

(just google garmin firmware patcher to find it)

On 14 September 2017 at 07:47, Gerd Petermann <
GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The documentation and help already contains this
> --unicode
>         This is equivalent to --code-page=65001. Note that
>         some devices don't support unicode maps produced by mkgmap.
>
> I added the hint while working on the optimize-index branch, it is in the
> branch since r3968.
> Please suggest improvements if this is not enough.

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich