logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] License issue in mkgmap & splitter source: GPL-2 (v2 only) incompatible with GPL-3 (v3 only)

From Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl on Sat Aug 5 13:22:35 BST 2017

Hi Gerd,

On 07/27/2017 09:07 AM, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> I am not sure what to do here. The splitter sources in question are copies or modified copies of sources in mkgmap.
> Why do they cause problems in splitter, but not in mkgmap?

They are problematic in mkgmap too, they have simply not been noticed
there before.

> The source
> src/uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/reader/MapReader.java
> was changed recently but the copyright info is very old. Why does it cause problems now?

Because the new file in splitted showed up in my license & copyright
review for the changes since SVN r548 (the previous revision in Debian).

Ideally all the files in mkgmap and splitter are relicensed to GPL-2+
(v2 or later) to have the most widest license compatibility. Only the
copyright holders can change the license, so this is something you,
Steve and the other copyright holders need to consent to.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1