logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] What should be in the global index by default?

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun May 7 10:23:31 BST 2017

Hi all,

I tried to find out what must be in the index and what might help but is not strictly needed.
I've tested with maps created by r3931, the maps contain 4 tiles which are ~600 km away from my location.
The Oregon 600 has only its "Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap" in a gmapbmap.img with ~ 51Mb
and my test gmapsupp.img which is about ~35 MB.

My findings so far:
1)  Address search (or the search for roads/crossings) doesn't work without the global index

2) In MapSource , the search function is completely disabled without the global index, but
POI search works without the index in MapSource on my Oregon, and both do not seem to use the index,
I see no change in speed with or without the index.

3) MapSource seems to use the gobal index to build the search dialog, POI types which are not indexed
are not searchable and they also don't appear when you search for "all POI". I played with options like  --x-poi-excl-index=0x2800,0x2f00-0x6700
to verify this.

4) Basecamp and Oregon show the shops Planet and Netto when I search for "net" in all shops.
Mapsource shows a list box which starts with names beginning with Net (Netto,Netzwerk) followed
by other entries in alphabetical order (Neubad Apotheke, Neue Apotheke).
I think this means that MapSource results depend on the global index while Oregon and Basecamp
work as well without it.

5) I did not see any effect when using option --make-poi-index besides the increase in size.

6) Search for POI on the device is slow with and without the index, but fast when I use the option to search
near a previously found place.

I assume that other devices may use the index in a different way, I can only test with the Oregon.
Maybe it depends on Hardware, maybe on Firmware.
Does anybody know a device which shows a different behaviour than my Oregon?