logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [Patch v3] reduce peak memory usage for global index

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 1 10:24:44 BST 2017

Hi all,

something goes wrong with this patch. Please ignore it.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Freitag, 31. März 2017 12:32:46
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] [Patch v3] reduce peak memory usage for global index

Hi all,

the attached patch is a further optimization. Peak memory for --x-split-name-index is now ~ 57% of r3873, without it ~47 % compared to r3873.
The run time is a bit better and the unit tests are passed again.
I've removed the debug reports for now, so that this patch is ready for commit.
A binary is here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/343/mkgmap.jar

Worth to mention:
The --x-split-name-index option requires a lot more memory in my test sample with only 51 tiles I see 250 MB instead of 101MB (437 instead of 214 with r3873),
so the relative increase for the option is even higher with the patch.

A lot of the memory is required to store so called sort keys. Those are created from the street name(s). A possible alternative would be
to calculate the keys only only when required. This would increase run time for sorting but should keep memory much lower.
I'll experiment with this later.