logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Parallel major roads to cycleways

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Mar 17 17:37:26 GMT 2017

Hi David,

the ways I am talking about are NOT part of the road. In many cases there is a ditch or tree row between the road
and the cycleway, say 3-5 m width. The cycleway may make small turns around trees.
So, I think it is okay to map those ways on their own but I don't know any tag which describes the fact that there
is a major road next to it.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von David <david.tlp at orange.fr>
Gesendet: Freitag, 17. März 2017 16:59:15
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Parallel major roads to cycleways

Features rules from Openstreetmap.org<http://Openstreetmap.org> says :

"Cycling infrastructure that is an inherent part of a road - particularly "cycle lanes" which are a part of the road - should usually not be tagged as a separate cycleway, but by adding the cycleway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway>=* tag to an existing highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=*instead."

The problem, if there is one, seems to be on the mappers side, not mkgmap styles rules.
It should be easy to discard any cycleway along a road with a condition  test like (cycleway=* & highway!=*). You can refine it with a test on the road category if needed.

Reference :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcycleway

David