logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Parallel major roads to cycleways

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Mar 17 08:51:00 GMT 2017

Hi lig fietser,

yes, I forgot to point out the possible improvements for address search.
Reg. commuting cyclists: I worked in Munich and for some years I commuted ~10 km between east and west. At that time I did not have a Garmin but I always prefered
ways apart from major roads.
What problem do you see here?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von lig fietser <ligfietser at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Freitag, 17. März 2017 09:20:11
An: Development list for mkgmap; daveswarthout at gmail.com
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Parallel major roads to cycleways

Interesting idea Gerd but those roads are also arterial connections to get in or out of the city so for commuting cyclists essential.

A benefit to have such hook is that I can copy the name of the major highway to the parallel cycleway if it lacks a name. This is for address search essential, since the major highway is often not routable in my maps.

Another benefit could be that I can force the router to route on those parallel and often obligatory cycleways and give a high penalty (lesser road_speed or road_class)  for the major highway sections. In OSM those highways often lacks a tag bicycle=no or bicycle=use_sidepath where in reality the parallel cycleways are obligatory.