logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Parallel major roads to cycleways

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Thu Mar 16 10:40:10 GMT 2017

There is a fledgling effort underway here in Chiang Mai to do a similar
thing. This effort centers around the desirability of a route for
bicycling. It deals with scenic vs dangerous roads for cycling and the 3
point system it uses might be insufficient for your needs but it might be
adapted. Worth a look at any rate.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Thailand#Bicycling_tagging_.28currently_for_Chiang_Mai_only.29

Dave

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Gerd Petermann <
GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to share an idea which might be interesting for cycling maps:
> In Germany and probably also Austria) many major roads have a parallel
> cycleway close to it, often only separated by a patch of grass or
> natural=tree_row.
> Example: A way with bicycle=designated :
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/243499929
> runs next to highway=primary B213
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/328470949
>
> I think nearly no cyclist likes to use those ways -- they are just a bit
> safer but still lots of cars are running with 100 km/h next to you --
> so I think it would be good to have a way to separate them from other ways
> where no major road is close.
>
> A possible way would be this:
> Simiar to the new ResidentialHook which sets the mkgmap:residential tag we
> might implement a
> hook which collects major roads and calculates an area around it (maybe
> 20m on both sides).
> Each way (maybe only those with highway=* ) could be checked against those
> areas in a way that a rule could
> decide to "dislike" a way which is mostly within such an area when the map
> is for cyclists.
> I guess bridges and tunnels (or more generally the layer tag) needs
> special handling here.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Do you think this would good to have?
> 2) If yes, what kind of information would be needed in the style?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand