logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Sun Mar 5 20:52:23 GMT 2017

Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> writes:

> as you said we have to live with the limitations of the Garmin img
> format and the routing algo.  My understanding is that the default
> style should produce reasonable results for correct input data.

Yes, that's of course a good general principle.

> If I got you right you'd like to have some user interface (maybe
> sliders in a GUI) to express your preferences of different road types
> or surface types and that should be used to "fine tune" the values for
> road_speed, road_class, and the unpaved flag so that one doesn't have
> to understand all the complex rules?

I should say that I am unclear  enough about what would be ideal that I
don't want to be on record as making a specific software request.  But
yes, some general framework for expressing how the user wants road costs
to work, which leads to those changes, sounds like a good idea.

It may be that the reasonable default rules we are evolving are good
enough, so that more complicated schemes are not worth their cost.

Anyway, thanks for listening.