logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Terraced/pixellated coastline with --precomp-sea

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Feb 19 10:18:03 GMT 2017

Hi NopMap,

please post the complete list of mkgmap options to make it easier to reproduce the problem.
The default style contains this line:
natural=sea { add mkgmap:skipSizeFilter=true; set mkgmap:drawLevel=2 } [0x32 resolution 10]

which in fact tells mkgmap to skip the size filter for the polygons generated by precomp-sea.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von NopMap <ekkehart at gmx.de>
Gesendet: Samstag, 18. Februar 2017 12:29:06
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Terraced/pixellated coastline with --precomp-sea

After playing around some more I think I found the reason for the problem. It
appears that there is a conflict between the --min-size-polygon= parameter
and sea generation from the precompiled files.

For larger Values of --min-size-polygon, the tearracing becomes worse. For
smaller values it becomes better. It seems that the generated sea polygons
are filtered one at a time by --min-size-polygon.

Which is probably a bug. With the default setting for --generate-sea or an
explicit --generate-sea=multipolygon, the sea is supposed to be generated as
a multipolygon. It does not make sense to filter out individual parts of a
multipolygon. Multipolygons on land are treated as a whole, and the same
should be true for generated sea polys.

But it looks like the --precomp-sea option creates many individual sea
polygons, not a multipolygon as described in the documentation.

I think the simple solution would be to not apply the --min-size-polygon
filter to generated sea at all. A coastline multipolygon usually extends
over large parts of the map, so it would be never filtered.