logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Size checks in splitter

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Dec 4 09:28:52 GMT 2016

Hi all,

years ago we added a check in splitter r251 to make sure that it doesn't write extremely large tiles.

See

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2012q1/013611.html

and

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2012q4/015707.html

In short: The problem is that the precomp-sea option will add a huge amout of sea polygons to such a tile,

another problem is that the bounds option loads a huge amount of data.

I've now noticed that this check might not be useful if you use splitter to split a large file into a few smaller tiles,

esp. the whole planet with num-tiles=2.

I'd like to skip this check when

a) --num-tiles is used

b) --max-nodes value is large, e.g. higher than 10.000.000

Another option would be to add a new option like --skip-size-check.

What do you think?