logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap: problems with encoding file used with option --license-file

From Patrik Brunner patrik.brunner at gmx.net on Fri Nov 25 13:50:33 GMT 2016

Hello together,

I'm using makemap (r3696) on Windows (non UTF-8 locale) and on Linux
(UTF-8 locale) and got very strange and platform dependant behaviour.
So I started to use the option -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 in the java call of
mkgmap to have at least the same, still strange and different behaviour
on both platforms.

Here the facts:

  * I have special characters (Latin1) in the license file: äöüéè ...
  * If I build a unicode map and the license file is properly encoded in
    Unicode, Basecamp shows at the end scrambled characters
  * I'm able to get a unicode map with correct license info (no
    scrambled chars) only on Windows (non-utf8 environment) without
    calling mkgmap with -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 and some additional cheats
  * If I use mkgmap to create a gmapsupp.img it again looks different,
    bit better but not good.

I know these facts are a bit unspecific, but I've really tested out
quite a lot and no combination / tries did help to solve the problems.
And before investing even more time and get completely lost I'll ask for
help.

Therefore:
did I miss something essential or are the parameters --license-file and
--copyright-file (I use the same file for both parameters) handled
specially/different than other source files for mkgmap (no/different
encoding support ?).

We never had any problems with utf8 encoded style files or typ source
files, all went always very smooth as long as everything was utf-8...but
with the license files I got stuck now.

Thanks in advance for hints / solutions / confirmations.
Cheers
Patrik