logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] IMG files getting corrupted?

From Mark Bradley ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com on Mon Sep 12 16:01:37 BST 2016

I want to post a problem I'm hoping someone can give me advice for.

I download the state where I live (Indiana) from Geofabrik and Splitter
splits it into four parts.  For a long time when I used Mkgmap to create a
gmapsupp.img file, it worked perfectly.  However, lately when I perform the
process, part of the file doesn't display on my Edge 810.  What it boils
down to is one or more of the four parts of the original file that Splitter
created are not displaying.  The parts that do display, display perfectly.
My GPS shows a crosshatched background where the missing data should be, so
it "knows" there should be something there, but for some reason it is unable
to display it.  All four of the individual IMG files that Mkgmap creates
when it runs display correctly in GPSMapEdit, as does the finished
gmapsupp.img file.  But there is something about it my GPS doesn't like.

I upgraded to the latest versions of Splitter and Mkgmap, but it didn't
help.  I ran a comparison on the file on my PC and the one on my GPS, to
make sure the file is being copied correctly, and the files compared okay.
Windows reports no errors on the SD card in my GPS, where the file is
located.  I have repeated the entire process, including re-downloading the
data from Geofabrik; no luck.

I have to conclude there is something in the data that Mkgmap is choking on.
Is there a Mkgmap option that might fix the problem?  Advice?

Mark Bradley