logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] incorporating available data sets into osm

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Jul 7 20:18:46 BST 2016

Hi Bill,

please check first the wiki regarding imports:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import

Next try to contact the OSM community, here is a list of mailing lists:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

good luck,

Gerd

________________________________
Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von 987654321 at use.startmail.com <987654321 at use.startmail.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2016 20:08:46
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] incorporating available data sets into osm

Hi

I am new to osm and am not sure if this is the appropriate forum in which to ask this question so if it is not, I would appreciate any direction with respect to the best place to post it.

I am working in the Northeastern US.  Many streams are missing from the map.  I found a site

http://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/nhd2002.html

that contains a shapefile of streams in NJ.  I want to determine if there is a method for bulk upload of such data AND if it would be permitted.

I have attached a txt file that accompanies the shp file that says

" Data Distribution Agreement

    I. Description of Data to be Provided.

    The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

    SUBJECT DATA LAYERS

    For all data contained herein, NJDEP makes no representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder.  NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.

    II.Terms of Agreement

    1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.

    2. The data are provided, as is, without warranty of any kind and the user is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying cross-reference files (see SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION).  Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact.

    3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first obtaining written permission from the NJDEP.  This clause is not intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information produced from the digital data.

    4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital data will credit the NJDEP's Geographic Information System (GIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer:

    "This (map/publication/report) was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized."

    5.    Users shall require any independent contractor, hired to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP GIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual work.  All copies of NJDEP GIS data utilized by an independent contractor will be required to be returned to the original user at the close of such contractual work.

    Users hereby agree to abide by the use and reproduction conditions specified above and agree to hold any independent contractor to the same terms.  By using data provided herein, the user acknowledges that terms and conditions have been read and that the user is bound by these criteria."

Any thoughts or suggestions about methods and rules concerning incorporating  such data sets in osm would be most welcome.

Thanks

Bill