logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option "link pois to ways"

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Feb 22 07:02:38 GMT 2016

Hi Dave,

The routing is done by Garmin software, so we don't know all details.

The (old) img format doesn't have much room for details.

The road-speed and road-class are probably the most important values,

besides the access restrictions. The Garmin algo also calculates angles

at crossings and doesn't like to make sharp turns when in car mode.

For long distance routing in car mode the algo prefers to get on a major

road and use that as long as possible.

So, in short, a bunch of traffic signals may reduce the avg. speed, but

my understanding is that this depends much more on the time of the day

(rush hour) . I also don't like the idea that the device routes me through

rather small roads to avoid a crossing with traffic signals.

I know such a place in my neighbourhood and the "clever" route is used

by many cars, even though it goes through a tempo 30 zone and across

bumpers.

Gerd