logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Satnav for non-proprietary maps?

From Nev Wedding nwastra at gmail.com on Thu Feb 18 08:05:51 GMT 2016

Hi Mark

You can use openstreetmap maps in the Garmin format on most Garmin gps receivers.
I use osm maps on both my Nuvi in the car and have a eTrex 30 attached to my cycle
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvi05afy7gy0wdw/etrex.jpg?dl=0
I bought the eTrex because I also use for bushwalking, but if buying a new one might now, I may opt for the slightly bigger Oregon 600.

There is infomation on ready made maps here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download>
All you need to do is get a ready made map in .img format and copy it to a directory called Garmin either on the internal memory of the gpsr or into a Garmin directory on a micro sd card to put into the gpsr and then enable only that map.

You can instead install the maps onto a pc with a different format if you wish and subsequently send the map to your gpsr.
You can download and use “Garmin Basecamp” to view the maps on your pc or gpsr but be warned it is not a program that suits everyone.

You only need to use mkgmap if you want to produce your own special variety of garmin suitable map.

From the above link, I often use the ready made maps by Lambertus or BBBike but there are plenty of other choices too and all should work quite well.  Both of these sites have a well documented help section.

There is a sub heading on Garmin maps on the Openstreetmap forum for “Questions and development of Garmin maps based on OpenStreetMap data”.
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/index.php

DC Rainmaker has a web site which I found very useful to initially get the gist of how it is all done.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html <http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html>

A good site for any technical problems with you gps receiver is http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussions <http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussions> where expert users are able to assist.

Personally, when planning to follow a specific route somewhere, I create a gpx track and follow that.
A good site to make a gpx track is http://www.gpsies.com/createTrack.do <http://www.gpsies.com/createTrack.do> (sign up for free to use)
An excellent site to upload to and visualise any gpx tracks is this one where you can see the gpx track you created or downloaded from somewhere else, on the openstreetmap or a choice of many other maps.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?bg_map=google_openstreetmap&form=google&width=1500

That should keep you out of mischief for a while.
Nev