logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style: highway=path means unpaved?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Sep 8 09:47:25 BST 2015

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:34:34PM +1000, Steve Sgalowski wrote:
>yet in  brisbane , to ipswich area , most are paved with concrete , or
>bitumen
>some bicycles just  use the main road ..
>So how can you code for that ?

If the ways are accurately tagged as surface=paved or surface=concrete
or surface=asphalt (or smoothness=good or whatever), then the rule will
not set the key mkgmap:unpaved=1.

So, if you want to fix it, please add some surface=* to the affected
ways, to make the map more accurate. Theoretically, you could add some
bounds-based rules for setting the default surface of bicycle paths, but
I would recommend against doing that. I prefer more explicit than
implicit (easier for all tools that use the map data).

BTW, the "add" keyword in mkgmap style language means "set if not
already set to something". The "set" keyword simply overrides any
existing value. So, if any other rule already assigned mkgmap:unpaved to
something, this rule would not change it further:

>       The rule in lines is
>       (highway=bridleway | highway=path | highway=track |
>       highway=unsurfaced)
>       & surface!=* & tracktype!=* & smoothness!=* & sac_scale!=*
>       { add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }

And BTW, we have both unpaved and paved cycleways here in Finland (and I
guess, Europe in general). There are also lots of forest paths, some of
which are rideable by bicycle, depending on the bicycle and rider, and
also the current conditions (dry/muddy/snowy/icy).

I agree with Felix that unknown should be treated as unpaved, to default
to a sane/safe value (do not send racing cycles to potentially
unrideable ways). If you do not mind entering unknown surfaces, simply
deselect the "avoid unpaved ways" routing setting.

	Marko