logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] sharp angles and routing

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Aug 11 09:44:06 BST 2015

Well - what is a strict pedestrian only way? highway=pedestrian - often
can be used with bikes too (going slower)
highway=footway -- often still outside cities and used for mtbiking
though maybe not allowed.
highway=path &  bicycle=no ---> very often nice mtbike trails in
countries where mtbiking is mainly forbidden like Baden-Wuerttemberg or
Austria.

And yeah - oneways could be excluded - but needs some care to not
exclude them (for cycling maps) if oneway:bicycle=no; bicycle:oneway=no;
oneway:bicycle=both; ( cycleway=* & cycleway!=oneway ) would be the most
common keys which mean cycling against oneway direction is allowed.

For me excluding all ways that get tagged road-class=0 or 1, and
road-speed=0 could be excluded (but sometimes I use continue and double
ways so it exists with say road-class=4, road-speed=2 as well as
road-class=0, road-speed=0 in order to get me through sharp turns - if
the sharp angle fixing would work well - maybe I could drop this).

On 11.08.2015 09:52, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> okay, I just try to find some criteria so that we find those nodes +
> arcs which really cause
> trouble. A lot of sharp angles are between oneway roads which don't
> allow traveleling
> the sharp angle.
> I think that also means that I can add code to ignore sharp angles on
> pedestrian-only
> ways.

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:39:11 +0200
> From: extremecarver at gmail.com
> To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] sharp angles and routing
>
> Well - not in Pedestrian mode. I meant if you design a map with
> road-class=4 as preferred way for pedestrians... Then of course using
> a non pedestrian profile for routing so it chooses road-class=4 or 3
> preferably.
> For Pedestrian mode chosen - there is no time penalty for sharp turns
> - though I did not test if it would prefer ways that point towards the
> destination at intersections.
>
> On 11 August 2015 at 09:30, Gerd Petermann
> <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
> <mailto:gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Felix,
>
>     please check:
>     you said that sharp angles also have an effect on pedestrian routing,
>     I was not able to reproduce that. Can you give an example?
>
>     Gerd

> --
> Felix Hartman - Openmtbmap.org & VeloMap.org
> Floragasse 9/11
> 1040 Wien
> Austria - Österreich

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org