logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] License and copyright text defects

From Paco Tyson paco.tyson at free.fr on Sat May 16 10:44:49 BST 2015

Hi Thorsten,

Le 15 mai 2015 à 22:08, Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk at suse.de> a écrit :

> On Fri, May 15, Paco Tyson wrote:
>
>> This is the license and copyright text :
>
> Your format is wrong. A newline defines a new license, not
> a new line. GARMIN Software and devices will sort the different
> licenses and remove duplicates before displaying them.

I understand what you wrote but I doesn't match with the documentation nor the default text that mkgmap produces :
"Map data (c) OpenStreetMap and its contributors
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

This map data is made available under the Open Database License:
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/
Any rights in individual contents of the database are licensed under the
Database Contents License: http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/dbcl/1.0/
"
Each line is not a new license. Or maybe you mean that we should separate licenses by an empty line ?

>> Independently of the exposed results above, I have a few questions and remarks :
>> - Despite providing a lower case copyright text, the result text is in upper case. Is it done by mkgmap ? Is it a Garmin format limitation ?
>
> It's done by the Software/Device displaying this.
>
>> - In the default license/copyright text, one can read "Program released under the GPL" and "PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2". I assume it's the mkgmap license, instead I'd expect here the license of the produced Garmin map.
>
> The default license cannot show the license of your map, the mkgmap
> devlopers don't know them.

Yes, of course but my point is that the default text added by mkgmap should be something else than the mkgmap license.