logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] License and copyright text defects

From Paco Tyson paco.tyson at free.fr on Fri May 15 20:52:31 BST 2015

Hi all,

I started customizing the copyright/license text for my map. I found some strange results that I want to share with you.

This is the license and copyright text :
license.txt :
My license text
Second line of license
Third and last line, blabla êß

copyright.txt :
Beginning of the copyright text
Second line of the copyright text, including accentuated characters : éàß
Third and last line of the copyright text

For each run, I run mkgmap v3539, create a .gmap map with jmc_cli, install it on Basecamp thanks to MapManager. I then install it on my Oregon 600 via MapInstall.

First run : --license-file=license.txt and --copyright-file=copyright.txt
JaVaWa GMTK displays :
My license text
Second line of license
Third and last line, blabla êß

BEGINNING OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT
SECOND LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT, INCLUDING ACCENTUATED CHARACTERS : ÉÀSS
THIRD AND LAST LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT

Basecamp displays :
BEGINNING OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT
My license text
Second line of license
Third and last line, blabla êß

SECOND LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT, INCLUDING ACCENTUATED CHARACTERS : ÉÀSS
THIRD AND LAST LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT

Oregon 600 displays on the Info page of the map :
©SECOND LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT, INCLUDING ACCENTUATED CHARACTERS : ÉÀSS
©THIRD AND LAST LINE OF THE COPYRIGHT TEXT

The first line of the copyright file is displayed before the license block on Basecamp and it is missing on the GPS device.

Second run : --license-file=license.txt and --copyright-file=copyright.txt but copyright.txt content is : "Only one line"
JaVaWa GMTK displays :
My license text
Second line of license
Third and last line, blabla êß

PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2
ONLY ONE LINE

Basecamp displays :
My license text
Second line of license
Third and last line, blabla êß

ONLY ONE LINE
PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2

Oregon 600 displays on the Info page of the map :
©ONLY ONE LINE

Note how the lines of the copyright block are switched between GMTK and Basecamp.

Independently of the exposed results above, I have a few questions and remarks :
- Despite providing a lower case copyright text, the result text is in upper case. Is it done by mkgmap ? Is it a Garmin format limitation ?
- In the default license/copyright text, one can read "Program released under the GPL" and "PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2". I assume it's the mkgmap license, instead I'd expect here the license of the produced Garmin map.

Documentation remarks :
--copyright-message=note
Specify a copyright message for files that do not contain one.
What files are we talking about ? The OSM data files ?
By the way, we could add here that --copyright-message is ignored if --copyright-file is also provided.

--copyright-file=file
Specify copyright messages from a file. Note that the first copyright message is not displayed on a device, but is shown in BaseCamp. The copyright file must include at least two lines.
Based on my tests, one can specify a one-line copyright file, mkgmap adds the line "PROGRAM LICENCED UNDER GPL V2", the last sentence is not true anymore.

--license-file : I don't understand "All entries of all maps will be merged in the overview map.". What are "all maps" ? Is the overview map used to store the overview levels or the gmapsupp.img file ?

Cheers,
Paco