logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] RFC: naming unnamed roads

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed May 6 05:52:20 BST 2015

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 08:17:26PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>The US is highly variable and both styles exist.  Around me, road names
>often change at the town border, and if they don't the addresses usually
>reset.

Right. The resetting of the house numbers while keeping the road name
was the confusing part for me (as a tourist who does not know or notice
the town borders, in areas where the towns have grown together).

>For extra confusion, roads are named for the town they go to, so you
>can be on Lexington Road in Waltham and after crossing be on Waltham
>Road in Lexington.

That sounds like standard practice in Europe too.

>Agreed that this doesn't cause mkgmap/garmin problems.

Yes. Nevertheless, it is good to know how things are done in different
parts of the world, to avoid choosing a bad design.

	Marko