logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap:city empty in large cities

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 25 06:19:05 BST 2015

Hi Ben,

thanks for the details. I did not think about an error in the OSM data because we already have
a few special rules for other big towns, e.g. in Germany wie have Hamburg, Bremen and Berlin which
are special because politically they also have the role "Bundesland" like Bavaria or Lower Saxony.
Also, I tried older boundary files and Ottawa never appeared as admin level 8.

Maybe I can code a test routine for the boundary data
that uses the geonames data from

http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/

to verify that a POI created for that location
has the mkgmap:city tag filled with the proper name.

Gerd

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:15:13 +0200
From: ben at bagu.org
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] mkgmap:city empty in large cities

Hi Gerd,

I think the problem with Ottawa is a problem with the data. The current Ottawa boundary describes a municipal level entity composed of the a bunch of former small cities (including the city of Ottawa which is now downtown area of Ottawa).

Looking at Canada in the administrative boundary list and using Toronto as an example, the current Ottawa boundary should be admin level 8.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative

The National Capital Region should be admin level 6 but I can't find a boundary for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Capital_Region_%28Canada%29

The suburbs within Ottawa (the former full cities) should be admin level 10. Again there are no boundaries but these suburbs are used officially for addresses. For instance, you can find Kanata listed in the Canada Post postal code lookup app.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/postalcode/fpc.jsf

It looks like the address setup in mkgmap is incorrect for this setup because admin level 10 is what people use for addresses in the big cities in Canada. I can fix this and send a patch.

As for your original question, I think adding the safety catch at the end would be a good idea just in case there are other areas that have broken data.

or should we add a one to this block:
mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8}' }
mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level7=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level7}' }
mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level9=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level9}' }
mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level10=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level10}' }
e.g.  a further line with
mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level6=* { set mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level6}' }

Nice catch! Thanks, Ben