logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search and case significance of street name

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Apr 19 06:02:13 BST 2015

> > Hi Thorsten,
> >
> > > But what is the original spelling?
> >
> > Original is the spelling form source data.
> >
> > What I mean: errors can be introduced by OSM mappers or by program
> > that process data. Good program shouldn't add errors. If we can't
> > verify spelling, then we should display original string from source
> > data.
>
> Exactly that was the question: what is the source data?
> For a highway, you have a name and a route=street with a name.
> According to the wiki, both are correct names for the same street.
> But what if they differ?

Yes, same problem with type=street and type=associatedStreet relations.
I've added diverse checks to make sure that they are ignored when the names
do not match, but these checks will only work when your style rules
don't use the relations to name relation members without checking.

So, I think rules like
type=associatedStreet { apply role=house { add addr:street='${name}' }}
should be avoided since r3359 if you want to use the messages produced
by mkgmap to correct wrong data.

So, my conclusion: It the style author who decides what's right or wrong,
the value in mkgmap:street gives the street name for address search.