logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search and case significance of street name

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 18 09:10:13 BST 2015

Hi all,

sorry, answering my own qestion again...

The same problem can occur with city names and place names and so on,
also two connectect roads may have that problem, so RoadMerger would not
merge them.
If mkgmap could change all names to upper (or lower) case, no problem, but that
is probably not what we want. On the other hand, mkgmap cannot decide
which spelling is correct.
The only simple solution that I see is to use a data structure
like this:
For each kind of string (city name, place name, region name,street name, ...)
we create a map with
TreeMap<String, String>(String.CASE_INSENSITIVE_ORDER);
The maps are filled while processing the OSM elements, so the first entry is used
for all elements.
Example: Relations are processed first, so image that one type=street
relation has a name=Abc Street.
This string is saved in the map.
If any element processed later has a name like "ABC street" or "abc Street"
which we consider as a street name, we will use "Abc Street" again.

I've just tried that and the performance impact is small, so
I think this is better, and the additional code for that is only ~30 lines.

Gerd