logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] open issues in the housenumber2 branch

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Mar 1 08:42:57 GMT 2015

Hi all,

during the last days I've analysed the reasons for the error messages reported
by some of you. I came to the conclusion that I have to
- change the handling of addr:interpolation ways completely
- add code to detect the "random number" case earlier and - if detected -
use different methods to split the number intervals

Both are rather complex changes, so I'll need a few days to code this.

One open question for you:
How should we handle "missing" information?
If mkgmap finds the numbers 1,3,9,11,17  in that order on the left side
of a road called ABC, it can create different housenumber informations.
One could  be like "odd numbers from 1 to 17 on the left",
another could be a more complex sequence
1) "odd numbers from 1 to 3 on the left",
2)"odd numbers from 9 to 11 on the left",
3) "odd number 17 on the left"
A search for ABC 5 would either show a point between 3 and 9
or two entries with the numbers 3 and 9.
The latter tells you that OSM probably doesn't contain the
exact information and let's you decide where to search for ABC 5.

The trunk version tends to the simple info, while r3486
is more likely to produce the complex one.
I think trunk is better here, the complex case should only
occur if the "random number" case was detected.

Do you agree?