logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map in gmapsupp.img?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Feb 23 13:56:05 GMT 2015

I'ld rather see a good OSM based worldmap (or simply based on other open
sources if they prove to be better for use ) that we could use to exchange
the basemap.

Thinking about a map - usable both in Basecamp/Mapsource as well as on GPS
Devices - 15-20MB in size - including ocean/land, big cities - maybe
highway=motorway, big rivers, country borders... - Resolution maybe
16-14-12-10. (maybe create a version including indexed POIs (for desktop) -
one without so it doesn't overlap the search).

On 23 February 2015 at 13:06, Andrzej Popowski <popej at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> Hi Gerd,
>
> >I see no reason why we should not add the overview map
> >to the gmapsupp if that is what the user wants
> >and the device is working fine with it.
>
> There is no need to add overview to gmapsupp. It can be copied as a
> separate file to GPS with the same result. Or user can merge overview map
> and detailed maps to a single gmapsupp:
> mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --index 1*.img overview.img
>
> The second version adds data from overview map into index search, which
> cause duplicated search results, see attached picture. I think both version
> will show duplicated cities when performing search near current position.
>
> I haven't checked thoroughly, but I have noticed a delay, when switching
> from detailed map to overview in GPS. I think single map with more levels
> could be faster.
>
> Summarizing: in my opinion this is not a proper way to create a map. If
> you add direct support for this procedure to mkgmap, you would give some
> kind of recommendation for it. And since it can be easily done without any
> changes to mkgmap, I would rather leave it as it is.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrzej

Floragasse 9/11