logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Railway tracks drawn around station buildings

From Andrzej Popowski popej at poczta.onet.pl on Mon Feb 9 15:48:04 GMT 2015

Hi Greg,

 > I was reacting to the notion that fixing the railway station
 > rendering didn't belong in the default style.

I hope I have never suggested it? I have voiced some opinions about
purpose of default style but not about this particular bug. I have no
doubts that it should be corrected in default style.

 > So, what I meant is that IMHO mkgmap should view the default style the
 > same way, as providing the best conversion known to the mkgmap
 > developers, where "best" means the conversion that is most useful to a
 > user with no special desires running on some typical class of devices.
 > The device target probably would be something reasonably modern, like
 > an oregon or etrex 30 or a nuvi from the last few years, although
 > I haven't found that anything newer than a Etrex Vista HCx to be
 > all that different.

Actually Garmin devices are very different. There is no one standard.
This alone makes idea of "best conversion" futile. Map, that is designed
for outdoor device could be too heavy for nuvi and even displayed in a
weird way. Routing on nuvi depends on model. POI categories could be
classified differently on different Garmin models. Even displayed colors
can depend on GPS model.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej