logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] FW: Lines distorted

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Feb 2 14:43:33 GMT 2015

Hi Dave,

I agree that these options are difficult to understand.
The options -- polygon-size-limits and -- min-size-polygon
use the size of the bounding box of an object.
The size is measured in Garmin units.

With the style rules you specify the resolutions at which an object should
be drawn. For each resolution besides 24 several filters are used to
do the rounding of coordinates and smothing of lines for the lower resolution
for each object.

One of the filters is the SizeFilter which is configured with the above options.
If the larger value of width and height is smaller than the given value in NUM scaled by the resolution,
the element is dropped before more complex filters are used.
So, if you change the value to e.g. 50 you may not find as many small parks or
forest polygons at resolution 22 as with the default.
The --polygon-size-limits option works similar, but allows to specify different NUM values
for the different levels.

Gerd

From: daveswarthout at gmail.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:11:36 +0700
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] FW: Lines distorted
To: gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com

Well, it's probably mostly because I'm  not at all familiar with the operations required to produce these maps. AFAIK, the options file is the only place some of these parameters are described. For example,
--min-size-polygon=NUM    Removes all polygons smaller than NUM from the map. This reduces map size and    speeds up redrawing of maps. Recommended value is 8 to 15, default is 8. See    also polygon-size-limits.
What does this mean? "removes all polygons smaller than NUM". Is NUM a length, the number of sides, or what? What effect does it have on the outputted map with a setting of 8 as opposed to 15?
I was really hoping there was a manual of some sort that described the processing, the options, etc., with some nice examples and explanatory text. If there is not, I'll just have to learn a little bit every day until I'm up to speed <g>
If I ever reach a point where I'm knowledgeable enough to help with the documentation, I would certainly be willing to do that.
Thanks,
Dave