logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Solution to show transliterated name if no other ascii name exists

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Jan 14 06:58:36 GMT 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:01:04PM +0100, Walter Schlögl wrote:
>Do you know, if the logfile can only be written in ANSI coding, or if
>there is a way to use unicode for logfiles?

By "ANSI" or "Ansi", Microsoft used to refer to their (or IBM's)
proprietary Code Page 1252 encoding, which is a superset of ISO 8859-1
aka ISO Latin 1. To add some confusion, some software is referring to
cp1252 as latin1. That said, an early version of ISO 8859-1 might have
been an ANSI standard. It was used already in the 1980s on the Commodore
Amiga, and on Digital computers and terminals (DEC Multilingual
Character Set).

As far as I know, there is no restriction of how files can be written in
contemporary operating systems. Even on Windows, it is normal nowadays
to use UTF-8 in file contents. Some Windows software could be happier if
the file begins with a Byte Order Mark (BOM), but I do not think it is
necessary.

Given that OSM has always used the UTF-8 encoding, it would seem easiest
to use UTF-8 in the log file output.

	Marko