logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem in splitter (Africa)

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 6 09:54:57 GMT 2015

Hi Stephen,

yes, you should have received an answer a now.

Gerd

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:15:51 +1000
From: steve.sgalowski at gmail.com
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Problem in splitter (Africa)

gerd P
did you get my direct e-mail to you sir
stephen

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM, GerdP <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

the log shows no problems. Why do you think that max-nodes=400000 doesn't

work?

Do you see an error message in mkgmap?

If yes, please provide your style files so that I can reproduce the problem.

Maybe your style still adds one POI for each point of each highway?

Gerd

steve sgalowski wrote

> canada splitter log file

> as expected ,  looks like i was correct

> the size of the split has to be smaller

> stephen

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Carlos Dávila <

> cdavilam@

> wrote:

>> Final file size depends on the amount of data in the input, not on the

>> value of max-nodes. If you need a final img smaller than a given size you

>> have to reduce the area covered by the input file or reduce the number of

>> osm elements from the input that go into the map playing with your style

>> files.

>> El 05/01/15 a las 22:07, Steve Sgalowski escribió:

>>> gerd and carlos

>>> i am now running the splitter log file setup on my canada map

>>> and see what it does , the end result on this map = 6.8 gb img file

>>> wonder why some country can exceed and others not

>>> stephen

>>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Carlos Dávila <

> cdavilam@

> >> <mailto:

> cdavilam@

> >> wrote:

>>>     Not sure what you mean. If you split a given country in a higher

>>>     number of tiles (lower max-nodes) final size will be the same or

>>>     slightly bigger, as there are more duplicated info due to overlap.

>>>     Or you are loosing some information in the process to reduce final

>>>     file size.

>>>     El 05/01/15 a las 21:34, Steve Sgalowski escribió:

>>>         in some of the countries i do , if i dont make the node count

>>>         small , the map size exceedds , size limit of 3 gb

>>>         then unshure how , canada has done this ok

>>>         stephen

>>>         On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Gerd Petermann

>>>         <

> gpetermann_muenchen@

> >>         <mailto:

> gpetermann_muenchen@

>>>         <mailto:

> gpetermann_muenchen@

> >>         <mailto:

> gpetermann_muenchen@

>>>             Hi all,

>>>             I wonder what splitter should do in this case:

>>>             Stephen uses paramter --max-nodes=80000

>>>             and splitter reports

>>>             "Highest node count in a single grid element is 557,084"

>>>             It is obvious that at least one tile will have much more

>>>         than the

>>>             requested 80.000 nodes,

>>>             on the other hand, the file africa.osm.pbf contains large

>>>         nearly

>>>             empty areas,

>>>             and that makes it very difficult to find a good split.

>>>             The current version r416 fails because it doesn't accept

>>> tiles

>>>             with less than 5% of

>>>             the max-nodes value, so it searches for a solution where

>>> every

>>>             tile has at least 4000 nodes,

>>>             and that might not exist.

>>>             I see these options:

>>>             1) splitter can continue trying to split the data, accepting

>>>             almost empty output files

>>>             (e.g. some with < 5 nodes and very high aspect ratios like

>>> 32)

>>>             2) if that fails,  splitter can set the max-nodes value to

>>>         557,084

>>>             and try again

>>>             3) or stop with an error message that tells the user that

>>>         it is

>>>             not possible

>>>             to split with the used resolution

>>>             4) or restart using a higher resolution  (15 would be

>>> required

mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk