logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] multi-word street search

From Andrzej Popowski popej at poczta.onet.pl on Thu Dec 11 00:11:26 GMT 2014

Hi Steve,

 > This is because it shouldn't make much difference: if A sorts
 > before B then A will also sort before <shield>B and <shield>A will
 > sort before B.

But there are more codes, like separation code, which can be placed in
the middle of the label. Or maybe they aren't available in mkgmap? I
have never used them.

 > So we need to find out what difference it makes to the sort order.

Well, I have done more tests with nuvi. Devices perform search
differently. My findings are following:
- My patches don't work in device.
- Mixed-index works in device.
- Mixed-index behaves similarly to City Navigator maps in Mapsource and
in device.

I have tried mkgmap.jar, that you have provided, and compilation of
current mixed-index branch. Both worked correctly in device. There is no
easy partial search in Mapsource, like with my patch, but search in
Mapsource is usable. If you write partial string, then Mapsource offer
valid labes to choose from. Mixed-index works in BaseCamp too.

My conclusion is, that your solutions in mixed-index is correct (maybe
it needs some cleaning, there is still test code active). I encourage
users to make more tests.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej