logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Non-rectangular tiles

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Nov 27 00:01:15 GMT 2014

Hi

I was meaning to write a message about this for a while and since
the thread for drive-on-left/right has brought this up already today
and since it is a mkgmap birthday (8 years!) this might be a good
time to set the ball rolling.

Currently we use rectangular tiles, but it is perfectly possible
to have arbitrarily shaped tiles - in particular tiles can be
shaped to exactly follow a country border or be conveniently
split by straight lines between countries separated by sea.
This means that every rule could be customised for each country.

This is probably the biggest feature that we don't have
that we can achieve with what we know about the format.

I am sure that it can be done, but it is a large task and will need
more than one person working on it.  If there is any interest I shall
outline my thoughts tomorrow.

..Steve