logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Manage drive-on-left/drive-on-right in resources\LocatorConfig.xml

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Nov 26 22:09:30 GMT 2014

On 26/11/14 09:22, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this point is on the to do list, but I am not sure what the target is.
> I guess it should replace the two options drive-on-right and drive-on-left.
> ("dor","dol")

In my opinion all we should do is:

1. Use the option set by the user.
2. If options is not given, look up the countries (from LBL) in the
LocatorConfig; if all are drive-on-the-same-side use that.
3. In all other cases (and --route is given) warn loudly.

So I'd just ignore roundabouts in the normal case.
Obviously --check-roundabouts can make any checks that it
likes, it is useful to debug OSM data, its not supposed to
be essential to produce a map.

> @Steve:
> The data in the LocatorConfig.xml seems to be only used in combination
> with the --bounds
> option, without precompiled bounds the default style will not set
> mkgmap:country which is used
> to get the data from the LocatorConfig.xml. I did expect that an option
> like --country-name or --country-abbr
> could be used to set a default, and the code really passes the values to
> a method in Locator
> called setDefaultCountry(), but that method is only adding /overwriting
> a HashMap of country-name+iso-code
> which is filled from LocatorConfig.xml .
> Is that intended?

Probably not.  The --country-* options were added very early on
since every POI has to have a country either directly or it
has a region that has to have a country.  At that time they
were defaults for when there was no addr:country on a POI (almost
always in those days!).

I suppose that if the bounds file is complete there is no need for
a default, but I would expect that the --country-name should be
used if there isn't one.

..Steve