logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Optimizing MapSplitter

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Fri Nov 14 12:05:08 GMT 2014

Hi

> I think I'll try to change this:
> 1) Put large objects (large bbox, maybe only few points as with 0x4b
> background polygon)
> into there own sub divs and don't add small objects to those sub divs
> 2) Create smaller sub divisions in dense areas

I've been thinking of this way
1. Start with everything in its own subdivision.
2. For each subdivision:
     Find other subdivisions that completely contain it.
	...but ignore subdivisions that are "too big".
	Combine the subdivision into the smallest of those found
         that still have room.
3. Repeat "enough" times.

- "too big": a desktop zoomed to just the level covers less than
   1000000 square units. My etrex 30 covers about 40000 square units
   if I measured it correctly. So I would guess that divs can be
   freely combined up to those kinds of sizes.

   But for larger containing divs, you would probably want to make
   sure that all elements are at least 50% of the size of the division.

- "enough": I've no idea what that would mean or even if this would
   work at all!

> I don't know yet how to do that, so I'll sleep about about again ;-)

Yes that is the problem!

..Steve