logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Optimizing MapSplitter

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Nov 13 11:58:51 GMT 2014

On 13/11/14 10:58, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> I played a little bit with display tool r435.
> I was not able to  display the label in inkSkape.
> Is there a trick?

Yes, you need to make it visible in the layers dialog (Shift-Ctrl-L).
There are two layers, subdivisions and labels. Click the eye next the
the labels layer to see it.  When the subdivisions are small the labels
get in the way which is why I turned them off by default.

There is also a layer drop down in the bottom status bar. You can use
that as well.

> I noticed that my Garmin maps have a rather small
> avg. number of elements compared to those produced
> by mkgmap.
> Up to now I found no simple rule reg. the area size of a sub div
> and the contained elements.

Yes they also appear to have a lot more smaller divisions in the mix.

A selected distrubution from the topo map:
  0: 192
  1: 2121
  2: 2629
  3: 5249
  4: 4108
  5: 817
  6: 122
  7: 12
  8: 0
  9: 0

Most divisions are smaller than 100,000 units square and there
doesn't really seem to be a lower limit. The first 192 must
be less than 4x4 units. This is perhaps an extreme example, but
in general the peak seems to be in the 10000-100000 range.

..Steve