logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap in NYC

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Oct 18 10:11:16 BST 2014

Hi Brian,

if I got that right, the problem is in the style rules. I don't know the rules that are used
for your map (provided by Ben Konrath), but the default style doesn't assign mkgmap:city
for the way with the id 265329468, and the way itself also doesn't contain the information.

These are the tags which I see before style processing using a bounds file dated 2014-06-13:

addr:housenumber=311,
mkgmap:admin_level6=New York County,
mkgmap:admin_level5=New York City,
mkgmap:admin_level2=USA,
addr:postcode=10019,
building=yes,
addr:street=West 51st Street,
mkgmap:admin_level4=New York

I see no rule in the default styles' address rules which handles this special case.

I am not familiar with addresses in USA, so I don't know if only New York is special?

Gerd

From: brianegge at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:14:49 -0400
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: [mkgmap-dev] mkgmap in NYC

Hi,
I've been using a USA map from http://www.openmapchest.org/maps/united-states on my Garmin Nuvi 1450. In Connecticut it works quite well, but I drove into NYC yesterday and it couldn't find a single address.
I was trying to find: 311 W 51 St. Nomination shows the address as:
	• House 311, West 51st Street, Midtown West, Manhattan, New York County, New York City, New York, 10019, United States of America
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/265329468
I tried finding it in both "New York" and "New York City". Manhattan and Midtown West are not listed as cities. I even tried the intersection search and nothing came up. NYC has a near complete set of street addresses, so I expected I would have good results using OSM data.
I know the boundaries of NYC can be challenging at time, because the city has five boroughs, lots of neighborhoods and a ton of data. Today, I navigated to the approximate location on the GPS, and it decided the location was in Weehawken, NJ., (which is just across the Hudson). On my GPS, I did a reverse search, and it showed the address being in New Jersey!

I didn't build the maps myself, and I don't know how the splitter works. Clearly Nomination has the address figured out correctly, but mkgmap does not.
Brian