logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with multiple TYP files

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Jun 28 23:10:29 BST 2014

Hi

> I'm a in the process of creating my first map with mkgmap (r3310) and

Welcome!

> IMG files into a single file for copying onto the GPS, however when I
> issue the following command:
>
>    mkgmap --gmapsupp map1.img map2.img
>
> the resulting gmapsupp.img file only contains the TYP file from the
> last input file. Is this a bug in mkgmap or have I missed something?

Combining two gmapsupp files ought to work, although this is something
that is rarely done so is less well tested.

Do you know that the gmapsupp.img file only contains one TYP file by
direct examination of the file, or because only the second TYP file
appears to affect the display?

I tried to reproduce this and I found a couple of problems.

1. If the two input files contain a TYP file with the same name, then
there does appear to be only one in the final gmapsupp.
If that is what is happening for you, then a workaround is to
make sure that they have different names, as that works for me
in my test anyway.

2. If the input gmapsupp.img files were built with --index, then
the operation fails, leaving an almost empty gmapsupp.img, without
any error or message.  I don't think this is what you are seeing
but it needs fixing anyway.

If neither of those seem to be relevant the I will need some more
details.

Best wishes
Steve