logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] error handling in splitter

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed May 14 17:43:49 BST 2014

Hi Henning,

> I would agree, that if input-data cannot be read or tiles cannot be
> written, splitter should stop and write an error-message.
>
> A special log shouldn't be required if this log will only contain
> stdout and/or stderr. This can be written to a file by cmd.

I think about a special log file containing more
details than the current stdout and a condensed stdout.

> Other things could be done:
>
> As you mainly had written the overlapping-code for me, I think it can
> be removed. The new method is so much better, that I would highly
> recommend not to use the older one.

OK. I'll try to find out if that could help to simplify
or improve processing for all "normal" users.

> Splitter and mkgmap are using different libs of fastutil, osmpbf and
> protobuf. Maybe it would be a good thing to let them use the same libs.
I was not aware of that. The fastutil lib is quite out-aged now.
The protobuf lib is newer in mkgmap, osmpbf libs have different names
but equal content.
@Steve: I don't know the reason for that. Is it intended?

I'll check if the newer fastutil version improves anything for
mkgmap or splitter.