logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r3259: remove most checks regarding routable/non-routable types.

From Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl on Mon May 12 07:17:08 BST 2014

Hi Gerd,

I certainly was not envisioning anything with SQL! More like an
"ini-file". At present the program itself and the default styles have to
address all kinds of devices, so they probably play it safe. Users can
customise the program and styles or develop their own, but there is no
mechanism to support sharing the nuances of each type of device within
the distribution. What I am suggesting will allow some of the
differences to be collected, and

Let's see if I can work through an example.

1) the command line

java -jar mkgmap.jar ........ --target-device=oregon450t

2) the "device capability database", let's call it "devcap"

[oregon450t]

camp_site_poi_type=0x2b03

routable_types=1,2,3,4,5

has_extended_icons=true

3) the styles

tourism=campsite & mkgmap:device=oregon450t {} [0x2b05 resolution 24]

tourism=campsite & mkgmap:device!=oregon450t {} [0x2b03 resolution 24]

tourism=campsite & devcap:has_extended_icons=true {} [0x2b05 resolution
24]

4) the styles, if we could use variables in the last block

tourism=campsite {} [$(devcap:camp_site_poi_type) resolution 24]

5) the style checker

respects the routable_types information from devcap to generate/suppress
warnings

6) some kind of simple 'include' function in the devcap file to allow
device families to be used

[oregon]

camp_site_poi_type=0x2b04

routable_types=1,2,3,4,5

[oregon450t]

include oregon

camp_site_poi_type=0x2b04

All pretty simple basic functions, which when you combine them, open a
world of possibilities. You can keep it really simple by just
implementing the option plus exposing that in the styles, or you can
make it really complex by putting all the information about POI icons,
supported features etc in the devcap file. Once the framework is there,
it can be leveraged (I hate that word) for many things limited only by
imagination.

I'm afraid my experience is limited to various Nuvi models plus the
wealth of vicarious experience gained from following this list!

Colin