logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r325: improved split algo and new option

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Wed May 7 15:06:27 BST 2014

Well, yes - I mainly tried on Austria now, so results may differ a bit
by country - but for me the trend is clear.

Starting with a .pbf file.
Fastest is osmcovert it to o5m (about 15seconds) then splitter output to
o5m. Total time to split 1:11
Second fastest os osmconvert it to o5m - then splitter output osm.pbf =1:14
Slowest is splitter osm.pbf to osm.pbf = 2:04min..

For mkgmap austria:
osm.pbf (and creating mapset files twice): 3:32
o5m (and creating mapset files twice): 3:30...

So for right now, I will output splitter to osm.pbf, but convert first
to o5m with osmconvert. After successful split, I directly delete the
o5m file.
This is using a conventional hdd, maybe with an SSD the o5m advantage is
a bit bigger (but then you might be more space bound on the SSD too)
The output to osm.pbf by splitter is simply more effective - because o5m
is 50% bigger. And for Austria the overall time it is faster is about 5
seconds...

Of course osmconvert also needs some time (about 15seconds of the 1:11)
- so If I started with an o5m file instead of osm.pbf - it would save
that 15seconds...
I only update my maps once a week (and europe continent only every ~6
weeks) - so even if I download the planet - I will have to see if I
maybe cut it to osm.pbf instead of o5m files to save space... I don't
have time right now to set up all that toolchain however. My server is
on a 1000Mbit connection - so downloads are faster than the HDD if the
source is also fast...

For sure converting to o5m before feeding tiles to splitter - makes a
lot of sense. Even if all else stays osm.pbf..