logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Building vs way in default style

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon May 5 21:40:18 BST 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 12:58:58PM -0700, GerdP wrote:
>Hi Steph,
>
>I think mkgmap creates a shape for the building and another one for
>the water. It seems that without a type file the water has higher priority.
>It is possible to detect that situation and cut the shape of the building
>out of the shape for the water, but that will require a lot of CPU, so
>I think it's not a good idea.

After looking at http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/40217747 I have to
agree that we should not do this by default.

It could be misleading to cut out bridge polygons from the waters that
they are crossing. Someone who uses the map for kayak navigation (or,
say, ice-skating or cross-country skiing in the winter) could want to
see the water polygon without any gaps, if the bridge is high enough.

I think that ideally, there should be multiple map layers, enabled or
disabled by the user. The base layer would contain the natural=* or
landuse=*, and a special "man-made objects" layer would show building=*
and man_made=* on top of the base layer. This is doable with the Garmin
format (in mkgmap by using one style per output layer).

	Marko