logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] r3174 in via_ways branch

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Apr 9 12:18:10 BST 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:46:34AM +0200, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>I think the branch is ready for trunk now.

Me too. While I did not test routing, it seems that you did that on
behalf for me (in Finland). I checked the warning messages, and I think
that they all are clear and warranted now.

>I did a few more tests regarding turn restrictions with via ways.  It
>seems that they are working, but the effect is minimal. In Finland,
>they  are (now) used only in no_u_turn restrictions, and the Garmin
>algo seems to avoid these u-turns anyway if alternatives are available.

I guess that the impact is bigger in places like California, where they
have dual oneways and they only allow left-turns and U-turns in certain
intersections. Then it is common that you will have to drive slightly
past your destination, make a U-turn a few intersections later, and then
make a right-turn.

I have not checked the mapping detail in those areas. If these
dual-oneways are already mapped as such in OSM (instead of being mapped
as one two-way street), no turn restrictions would be needed.

	Marko