logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Is mkgmap now producing fully compatible maps built at resolution=23 instead of 24?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Apr 3 09:58:25 BST 2014

On 03.04.2014 10:31, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> > I just wondered, is mkgmap now producing fully working maps if the
> > highest resolution is 23 instead of 24?
> > (meaning no problems with autorouting, no problems with simplyfing
> > filters, address search and so on?).
>
> no, it is not :-(
> It turned out that there are special cases , see also
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Mapsource-crashes-while-calculating-a-route-tp5793545p5793717.html
> I still see this on the todo list, but if nobody else tries to solve it,
> you'll have to wait a bit, as I prefer to go biking in the summer ;-)
okay - enjoy the sun....  - I'm sure you deserve it!

> > BTW - if it is - it would be cool if one could specify "0x1c resolution
> > highest" or "0x1c resolution X" instead of 24 or 23 to quickly change
> > between producing a map with resolution 24 and 23 for testing... (I
> know
> > this could be done with using level instead - but for me using
> > resolution is easier because when editing a style-file I can assess the
> > outcome much easier than needing to remember with level is which
> > resolution. Also it's easier to play around with levels that way - the
> > only problem is that each time I would need to run a script to change
> > resolution 24 to 23 as I don't want to do this in the style-file I use
> > for editing itself as it's a way of no return if you want to have 23
> and
> > 24 in the map again)..
> > Or is it possible to replace just "resolution 24" in the style-file
> with
> > "level 0" while keeping all other at resolution ?? and still using the
> > options file to get the other resolution ?? assigned to their proper
> level?
>
> that's what I did to create a routable map at res 23:
> http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Mapsource-crashes-while-calculating-a-route-tp5793545p5793598.html
okay perfect. That makes it easy. I doubt anyone would want to create a
routable map at resolution=22 or lower.

IMHO for a scrict car map like "City Navigator" resolution 23 is plenty...
Actually for an intermediary step if it's easier. Would it be possible
to have a map with
level 1= 22,
level = 23 for polygons and POI and 24 for lines? It seemed to me that
garmin fiddled around in some maps in this way to save space. However to
create a map for all of Europe <4GB I would still say we need to get
resolution=23 as level 0 fully working (the rest of the work is to slim
down the style-file properly - but only cutting down the style-file
would be a too big compromise).

Well - maybe good work for next winter...

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org